Welkom to Jumieka! Waagwan mi fren! Everitin kris mon.
First of all, we have been sternly advised about postings on blogs because some persons in the past have posted information that has created security threats, racial remarks, inappropriate pictures, or opinions far from what the Peace Corps represents.
I gotta tell ya'll first that everyone in the group believes that I am an in-place, undercover CIA agent. This all started because I had all 51 trainee names memorized within 12 hours of arrival at staging in Miami. A few days later another trainee had some hand-held glowy fan thing(something you might see a doped up raver carrying). As I put it up to my face I mentioned how cool that would be if I was "smokin di ganja", and now they are convinced.
The weather is HOT and HUMID. Coming from New Mexico, it's a rather drastic change and tough to adjust to. After a week of COLD showers, I am beginning to enjoy them. They are quite glorious now, and I very much look forward to them.
Right now, the other 51 trainees and I are in north Kingston at a historic college barracks. They are pretty run down, but have a solid roof and floor. I can't complain, it's Peace Corps. I did, however, wake up with little bugs crawling all over me the other day. As luck would have it, they weren't biters. I've got the mosquito net up now.
The trainees and Jamaican people are amazing, and oh so friendly. The local language(Patois) is elegant and pleasing to the ear. Got a taste of my first Jamaican jerk chicken yesterday...MMMMM gud mon! We got a tour of downtown Kingston market area on Saturday, and let me tell ya.... it's absolute chaos, but soooo cool! Loud music, the smell of food, people EVERYWHERE! In a few weeks we will be required to navigate our way alone using the public transportation out to our sites, and to our host family house. I love a good challenge. The key is to look confident, even if you aren't.
In the meantime, we get up early, attend training, language, and cross cultural classes all day. Makes for a long day, but there's Red Stripe and mini dorm parties to be had in the evenings. One such class on STDs/HIV/AIDS has everyone convinced to stay celebant for two years. Next friday, I will get my job assignment, community living assignment, and then ship out the next day for that site. It's very much a roller coaster ride at this point as there is so much going on, and so much just around the corner. I've had a few bad days already, but they are closely followed by good.
me a go put up fa di niet. mi su kom bak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Dude! I'm so excited to read your first blog- you are SO IN IT!! How awesome. Do you really get your job assignment and posting on Friday? Does that mean your training site because it seems very early for them to ship you off to your service site already. When is your swear-in day? Well wherever they're shipping you off to- have fun and keep it irie mon!
aww, miss ya andy. can't wait to visit.
Let them think you're CIA. That will cover the fact that you're with the FCC.
Little bugs, huh. How many times do I have to tell you that condoms don't protect against "da" crabs.
Glad to hear you're doing well. Let me know when you finally get into trouble. Its inevitable. KISSES!
mr awesome, they took you for a CIA agent ?? ah ah you should tell em the truth...you're a pet detective.
shikaka.
Hey man it is goood to hger from you and that everything is going well for you. I hope that you stay busy and are assigned a good assignment there. Yea stay away from the booty, lol!!, as you know it would suck for your johnson to fall off. Lauren and I are doing good, we just signed the lease on a new place to live. We are on MLK right next to the University and down town!! Awesome place to be man, cannot wait for you to see it. Oh well every body at Trader's says hello and I miss ya man. Take care and have fun while doing great things for the country of Jamaica. Later,
Marcus
Great to hear from you Kolb!! Such an adventure, take lots of pictures and hopefully I can come visit you sometime very soon! Miss you, take care...
*C
you're perfect for this man. its good to be awesome, mr. andy "cia" awesome kolb. oh yeaaahhhh.....
Post a Comment